This Stroganoff aka “Beef Brenda~noff,” as my family refers to it, has been our family’s #1 go-to favorite recipe for as long as I can remember!
My mom’s name is Brenda in case you didn’t pick up on that 😉
My parents were adamant about cooking family dinner (almost) every single night. Going out to eat at sit-down restaurants & even fast-food restaurants only happened on special occasions, i.e. vacation and birthday dinners, and half the time it did not even compare to my parents’ cooking! More than once, actually definitely most of my birthdays, I requested this recipe over going out to eat.
It’s just sooo good 😍
Growing up, it was routine for my siblings and I to participate in cooking, setting the table, clearing the table, and packing up the leftovers. But it wasn’t until I was an adult that I, like, REALLY realized how special it was that my parents made a point to have us all together every single night for a home cooked meal.
…Oh! To help paint this picture, I will go ahead and share that my parents had five kids by the time they were 27 years old. Kids’ ages ranging only five 1/2 years from top to bottom (holy moly, I know)! I am the baby—well—one of the babies 👼🏻👼🏻. I have an identical twin sister and she was technically born last. Semantics…
Needless to say, my parents became EXPERTS at perfecting meal planning for us little minions! They made SURE we grew into our adult taste buds as early as possible and soon enough their favorite dishes became our “family favorite” meals to eat.
And we lived happily ever after—the end. LOL
My point: If anyone is looking for kid-friendly recipes or foods their kids are willing (even excited!) to eat, definitely try this dish!!! Start swapping out the traditional kids’ dinner choices for a few really good adult dishes. They will thank you one day, and I have a whole cookbook to share with you!
On to the main course…here is what you need! 🙌🏽
- 2 lbs. Ground Chuck
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- Fresh Mushrooms – sliced (1 pkg., 16 oz.)
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
- ½ cup dry white wine (Chardonnay)
- 8 Beef Bouillon Cubes
- 4 – 6 tsp. Dill Weed, according to taste
- 16 oz. Sour Cream
- 2- 16 oz. pkgs. of Egg noodles (medium wide)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
Larger Batch (ingredient adjustments):
- 3 lbs. Ground Chuck
- 2 Med. – Lrg. Onions, chopped
- Fresh Mushrooms – sliced (24 oz. pkg.)
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup + 1 can Cream of Mushroom
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay)
- 10 – 12 Beef Bouillon Cubes
- 6 – 8 tsp. Dill Weed, according to taste
- 24 oz. Sour Cream
Prep & Combine Ingredients (Approx. 20 min)
- Start water for the pasta.
- Chop onions and slice mushrooms (on the thicker side).
- Brown meat w/ onions and sliced mushrooms, leave meat in larger chunks.
- Drain liquid when onions are glassy and meat is browned. (Important to drain.)
- While meat is cooking, dissolve the beef bouillon in wine in the microwave. (Approx. 1 min.)
- When meat is drained, add pepper and dill weed (no salt). Crush dill through fingers, to release flavor and distribute evenly. Lift and turn meat gently for better coverage.
- Add condensed soup and wine/bouillon mixture.
Cook Time (Approx. 25 min)
- Cook on medium heat; stirring occasionally until mixture becomes soupy.
- Continue to cook for about 20 minutes on med – low heat.
- Cook pasta when meat sauce is almost done.
- Add the sour cream to the meat sauce when pasta is almost done. Continue to heat on low.
- Drain pasta. Serve sauce over cooked pasta.
- Top with fresh pepper and grated parmesan cheese.
*Complimemt the stroganoff with fresh cut cucumber slices.
You’ll know why when you use it to scoop up the pasta (yummm!) 🌟
- Important to drain meat well. Most of the liquid is water released from the mushrooms.
- Campbell’s soups and Daisy sour cream are best. (Don’t use low fat soup or sour cream.)
- Careful not to break meat up too much when stirring. Break up extra-large chunks before serving (just because… it’s better that way :)
Have I convinced you to try it, yet? Leave me a comment and let me know! I’d love to hear if you love it as much as we do!